Windows can act as a gateway to the outdoors, especially during the frigid winter months when we may not get outside as much as we would like to. Having a lot of windows and natural light in your living space offers a wide variety of benefits, both physically and emotionally.
The numerous benefits of natural light include:
- Increased vitamin D levels
- Higher productivity
- Helping to fight seasonal affective disorder (SAD)
- Helping to produce dopamine, which aids in healthy eye development
- Unlike artificial light, direct sunlight can help with a healthy night’s sleep
- Increased serotonin, which helps improves your mood
Ways to Add and Enhance Natural Lighting in Your Home
- Mirrors – Hanging up a mirror in a room essentially doubles the sunlight that enters that room, since it reflects sunlight instead of absorbing it.
- Light colours – When choosing paint pallets or fabrics for your home, choose light colours and white. These colours reflect light better than dark ones.
- Window dressings – Choose the proper window treatments that will allow more sunlight to enter your home. Hang single draperies instead of double. Venetian blinds are an excellent choice as well. Open all window dressings as soon as you wake up to allow as much sunlight into your home as possible.
- Skylights – Though they can be costly, skylights can reduce electrical costs over the long run. Make sure to install them in rooms that receive the most sunlight.
- Remove obstructions – Ensure all of your windows are clear of anything that could block out sunlight. Things like bookshelves can cut down on the amount of direct sunlight that enters your home through your windows.
If you’re looking for ways to increase sunlight in your home, contact the door and window experts at The Door Centre.